Sunday, July 30, 2017

Marathon in the City - 5k run in San Francisco Marathon

San Francisco Marathon - Landmark Ferry Building bw
Mijo and I were out of town when Sunday Streets went to the Mission District a year ago. I got lucky that I was in town and available two weeks ago during Sunday Streets on Valencia St. 

Lots of culture, music, dancing and fun activities! This is probably one of my favorite Sunday Streets in the city!



My coworker Durga runs the San Francisco Marathon every year and she's the one who sort of convinced  me through our office conversations to try it out. She has a point since I already run in the JP Morgan Chase 5k Run for 3 years now. Why not consider running the 5k of  the San Francisco Marathon since the Chase run is also 5K?
San Francisco Marathon - 20 mins before start 

Since the San Francisco Marathon is a charity event my employer subsidized the marathon fees for its employees as part of its Volunteer efforts (Thank you, my employer). I got the Marathon kit two days before the run from the organizers at work. The kit contained my running bib, the San Francisco Marathon dry fit tshirt, and a volunteer t-shirt from work. 
  San Francisco Marathon - 5 mins before start 

The 5k race starts and finishes on Embarcadero. The Full and half marathons started somewhere in Golden Gate Park and ends on Embarcadero but the routes snake through the city and major landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge. I got to the 5K Start 20 mins earlier. I just learned that day that BART trains don't start until 8am on Sundays so I had to Uber to the venue.
  San Francisco Marathon - Start 

I run on the treadmill for one and half miles twice a week and those run I use to supplement my current work out regimen every week. For me, that training has made my endurance good enough to run the 5k on a flat route.
  San Francisco Marathon - Landmark Bay Bridge 

The weather that morning was cool but sunny which was perfect for running.
  San Francisco Marathon - Mile 1 

The view from the 5K route was a bonus. Here's The Cupid's Span.
  San Francisco Marathon - Landmark Cupids Span 

Thank you Marathon volunteers for keeping us hydrated.
  San Francisco Marathon - Water station 

Another city landmark, The Ferry Building.
  San Francisco Marathon - Mile 2 

Running on a concrete pavement is definitely harder than running on the treadmill. However, running with hundreds of other 5k runners provided that exhilarating feeling that pushed me to go extra mile.
  San Francisco Marathon - Home stretch 

Finally, my first 5K Finisher's medal from San Francisco Marathon!
  San Francisco Marathon - Finish medal 

It was great to see the other runners finish as well.
  San Francisco Marathon - Finish hanging out 

There were bananas, the refreshments, and power bars were good.
  San Francisco Marathon - Finish food 

Afterwards, I checked out the Finish Line Festival where freebies and samples await.
  San Francisco Marathon - Festival 
  San Francisco Marathon - Festival OZery Bakery San Francisco Marathon - Ripple San Francisco Marathon - Festival Health Ade 
  San Francisco Marathon - Festival Florastor San Francisco Marathon - Festival Fitbit

This was an enjoyable run and I'm planning to do it again next year.

~rl

No comments: