Saturday, July 29, 2017

Sunday Streets in the City - Valencia St. in the Mission District

Sunday Streets Mission - Valencia St bw
Mijo and I were out of town when Sunday Streets went to the Mission District a year ago. I got lucky that I was in town and available two weeks ago during Sunday Streets on Valencia St. 

Lots of culture, music, dancing and fun activities! This is probably one of my favorite Sunday Streets in the city!



For the Sunday Street Mission, the city closed off several blocks of Valencia St. from 25th St. through 15th St. This part of the city is flat so it makes for an easy and enjoyable walk or slow biking with family and friends.  Valencia St. has also undergone major changes in the last few years where new stores, cafes, and restaurants have popped up.

This Sunday Street started around 11am but I was running errands and I didn't get to the Mission until a little after 1'oclock in the afternoon. There were already lots of people walking up and down Valencia St. I decided to start my walking tour of Valencia St. from 25th St.
Sunday Streets Mission - Flags

Lots of fun activities like this trapeze training. The weather was great so people were outside wearing shorts and t-shirts.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Circus Center

I don't know the name of this band but they were singing in Spanish and in the Flamenco style. I loved it!  I wanted to get their music but I don't know their band's name. I wish they had a sign or a banner next to them.
Sunday Streets Mission - Gypsy jazz

This graffiti wall is like a mural to me. The way the posters were arranged and layered made it interesting.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Posters graffiti

Illy coffee was giving away cold bottled coffee that afternoon. Thanks, Illy Coffee!
Sunday Streets Mission - Illy Coffee

Walking on Valencia St. and not on the sidewalk made me see a lot of things from a different vantage point. Thanks to this event, I was able take a picture of Arizmendi Bakery and its parklet without cars in the foreground.
Sunday Streets Mission - Parklet bakery

The same with this school mural. I was able to take a picture from the street and not from the sidewalk. I love it! This is also another reason why I've always wanted to go to this Sunday Streets because of the murals and storefronts and all the pictures I can take.
Sunday Streets Mission - School mural

This parklet can be found on the block of Valencia St between 24th and 23rd streets. It combines a parklet and a science exhibit about water in one.
Sunday Streets Mission - Parklet and science

A local group performing a lovely Middle Eastern belly dance. The group members are composed of different ethnicities and ages, which is a representation of the city itself.
 Sunday Streets Mission - Middle eastern dance

Valencia St. is flat so it makes for great walking, running and biking.
Sunday Streets Mission - Funky bikes

Here's an urban music on 23rd St.
 Sunday Streets Mission - Urband music

Another artfully designed store front.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Store front


Filipino food is represented by Señor Sisig. Yumm!
  Sunday Streets Mission - Senor Sisig

Lots of families and their scooters.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Valencia St

Cuban music.
Sunday Streets Mission - Cuban music

Lovely outfits showing the eclectic vibe of the Mission District.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Cool Outfit

This band is called Banda Sin Nombre. Their music is kind of like Gypsy jazz.  
I love them!
  Sunday Streets Mission - Banda Sin Nombre

I forgot the name of this band.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Band Valencia 16th st

I also love the murals dotting the Mission district.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Mural Music skeleton

Lots of pretty artsy facade.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Colorful front

This one can be found on Clario St. If you like murals, Clarion St. is mural haven. I'll write a separate blog about this one soon.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Clarion Alley

This one, I think, was the Bluegrass Association band. They were doing sounds checks when I got there.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Blues band

The books at Dog Eared Bookstore. Lots of people were hanging out at the bookstore during the time so I didn't go inside to browse books.
Sunday Streets Mission - Dog Eared books



Another parklet. This one is infant of Blue Fig. Mijo and I have never been to this cafe before but I added it to my list of cafes to check out one of these days.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Parklets

This Hoola hoop dance group was so much fun.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Hoola hoop dance

This group may be dancing what looked like a capoeira? I was not sure but their music was awesome and the dancing beautiful. 
  Sunday Streets Mission - Capoera dance

More parklets, more bikes. This one is infront of Dandelion Chocolates.
Sunday Streets Mission - Parklets and Bikes

More restaurants with artsy facades.
Sunday Streets Mission - Restaurant facade

The booths are located near 15th St.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Booths

The book mobile was there too.
  Sunday Streets Mission - Book mobile

I always enjoy going to the Mission District. It was even more enjoyable because I walked on Valencia St. and checked out the neighborhood for a couple of hours instead of just passing through it.

Until the next Sunday Streets. 

~rl

No comments: