Sunday, July 16, 2017

Library in the City - Kodakan at the San Francisco Public Library

SF Public Library - Main branch facade bw
I went to the Main Library to volunteer at a photo archiving event to document the evolution of the Filipino community in San Francisco.

During that process, I rediscovered the beautiful architecture and interior of the city's Main Library. It is truly one of the gems in the city.




We were supposed to be at the Main Library at 9:30am Saturday for the actual photo archiving event. A week earlier, we attended a training how to select, handle and archive photos for historical purposes.  
SF Public Library - Main branch facade

This was my first glimpse of the Main Library's lobby after so many years of not stepping inside the building. Ever since the library introduced online ordering of books to be picked up at a library neighborhood branch, I pretty much stopped going to the main library.
  SF Public Library - Main branch lobby atrium

I had forgotten how stunning is the library's interior even after all these years of wear and tear to the facility.
 SF Public Library - Main branch Skylight 

We were shown around the area that we will be working at on the 6th floor. The Digi center is located on the 5th floor and that's where the photo scanning was done. The photo donors were going to arrive shortly after our briefing. I was so excited because I am contributing to the documentation and preservation of Filipino history through photos. And as a photo enthusiasts and amateur photographer, this was right in my alley.
SF Public Library - Main branch Kodakan

This was our continental breakfast.
  SF Public Library - Main branch Kodakan breakfast

We were assigned our first tasks. I was assigned to be in the photo selection initially and we took turns doing other tasks such as a greeter, usher, scheduler, curator, interviewer, scanner and runner. Running means taking the final selection of photos, per donor, to the scanning department.
SF Public Library - Main branch Kodakan selecting photos

Being a Runner allowed me to take detours and check out the other parts of the library that I have  never been at for many years.
  SF Public Library - Main branch 6flr History Center

   Like this view of the lobby from the 6th floor.
  SF Public Library - Main branch lobby

  The view of the Bridge from the winding stairs going to 6th floor.
  SF Public Library - Main branch 6flr stairs bridge

Another view of The Bridge.
  SF Public Library - Main branch 6flr bridge more

Here's the view from the 5th floor windows.
  SF Public Library - Main branch 5flr windows

Here's the Periodicals section on the 5th floor going to the winding stairs.
  SF Public Library - Main branch 5flr periodicals

Here's the Environmental section containing all books and information about sustainability.
  SF Public Library - Main branch 5flr Environmental Center

The Digi center on the 5th floor. This was my last task to sub for the volunteer scanners who had left for the day. I also enjoyed this part of the job.
  SF Public Library - Main branch 5flr Digi Center

Here's The Bridge.
  SF Public Library - Main branch 5flr Bridge

More study tables. I love that natural light is spread throughout the study halls.
  SF Public Library - Main branch study tables

Simple library rules to remember.
  SF Public Library - Main branch Library rules

These study rooms let you study privately. I was told they can be reserved for an hour.
  SF Public Library - Main branch Study rooms

I noticed some walls are decorated with obsoleted index cards but a layer of graffiti was added for the artsy look. Great idea!
  SF Public Library - Main branch Walls

Here's our lunch. I was told the food was from a catering service called Manila Bowl.
  SF Public Library - Main branch Kodakan lunch

While eating lunch, I noticed this cubicle called StoryCorps. 
  SF Public Library - Main branch 6flr Story Corps

There were also a few exhibitions going on at the library but I was not able to check them out.
  SF Public Library - Main branch Exhibit

HEre's the library events.
  SF Public Library - Main branch events

At the center of the library, there is this light installation called Constellation.
  SF Public Library - Main branch Constellation

Here's some Herb Caen memorabilia.
  SF Public Library - Main branch Herb Cain

I was re assigned to work at the Digi center as my last task. I was secretly proud of this because there were only a two of us who were assigned to this task. I thought I did a great job too.
  SF Public Library - Main branch Kodakan scanning

I am so thankful that the library is documenting the Filipino history in San Francisco through photos. Thank  you SFPL!
  SF Public Library - Main branch Larkin at Grove

~rl


No comments: