Monday, April 11, 2016

Musical in the City - The Wicked

The Wicked - BART ad bwThe wildly successful musical is back in San Francisco's Orpheum Theatre and for the third time I went to see it. 

I can remember the last two times I saw the show and I can tell the difference between the shows. Of course, it was still great seeing it the third time.  I was just reminded again how good this show is.




Mijo is currently abroad so I took this chance to catch up with my friends and socialize with them. I went to see The Wicked with my friend Mike.  He's been my friend since our undergrad days at the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila in Manila. He's an avid broadway show fan. Unlike my other friends who are Broadway fans, he hasn't seen The Wicked.



The Wicked - Outside scene

As for me, I've seen this show twice. Both times were in San Francisco. I remember the first time I saw it was when it was pre-Broadway at the Curran Theatre. I remember telling myself how I like the imagination of the story. That it painted a different story when it was told from the Wicked's point of view. I also remember hearing the songs and how I thought they could become classic Broadway songs.
  The Wicked - Orpheum Lobby 

 I didn't see it again until about three or four years after the show left San Francisco and premiered in New York City.  I remember noticing a lot of differences especially in the production and set. Of course, by that time, lots of editing have been done before it premiered in NYC. Still, I loved the show seeing it the second time around. Of course, the show have become a worldwide sensation since the first time I saw it and the tickets were sold out quickly.
  The Wicked - Stage 

For the third time, the use of technology as props was an obvious addition. The music, I noticed, was faster than what I am accustomed to hearing in my iPhone. Amanda Jane Cooper as Glinda and Emily Koch as Elphaba were amazing. The ensemble was equally wonderful. Nothing compares to live music and live theatre. I was smiling the entire time. Absolutely amazing!
  The Wicked - Orchestra 

The Wicked is playing at San Francisco's Orpheum Theatre through April 16, 2016.
  The Wicked - SHN

~rl

No comments: