Monday, April 18, 2016

Fashion Exhibit at the De Young Museum - Oscar De La Renta: The Retrospective

De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta signOscar De La Renta: The Retrospective is currently on display at the De Young Museum. My friends Caloy, Rey and I braved the rainy day and the big crowd to see it.

There was a long line going into the museum. We almost didn't get in but the story ended well and we were able see the exhibit. Oscar De La Renta is truly one of the best designers in the world.

.



As someone who designs business applications using  computer programs, I appreciate jobs involving designs and I am a fan of great designers. This is why I knew I was going to enjoy this art exhibition at the De Young. In fact, I've been to other art exhibition at the De Young involving fashion and fashion designers like Yves Saint Laurent and Jean Paul Gaultier.


There was a long queue outside the museum when the three of us got there a little after twelve noon. I thought to myself, this is not good. After an hour, we got our timed ticket slated at 4:15pm. We had over two hours to kill time inside the museum so we had time to sit down at the museum's cafe to continue hanging out and also to see another exhibit called From Boquets To Art.
De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta timed entry

Finally, we made it to our time slot. Still lots of people inside even though it was timed. I wish I had the accompanying audio guide but I decided not to get it this time.
De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta beginning 

The lighting and the wall color created a soft mood. I imagine this was sort of mimicking the mood during the runway shows of Oscar De La Renta. Because of the low light, taking pictures was a challenge. Taking pictures with a flash is prohibited.  The tactile details, the colors and the shapes are all cohesive. Everytime I see a piece of dress or gown I tried to imagine the design process involved in each one. Was he ceremonial or did he work right away? Did he experience any designer's block while designing any of these exquisite pieces? I wonder.

My photos don't do justice because the pieces are more beautiful up close. I imagine this was like watching a fashion runway. The only difference is that the models do not move.

Here are his creations during the beginning of his career.
De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Spring 74 evening dresses De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta day dresses De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta cocktail dress De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta for Pierre Balmain De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta evening wear De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta evening ensemble

Here are the pieces from the Eastern Influence room.
De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Eastern Influences De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Skirt De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Shawl De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Tunic and Pants De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Coats De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Dress and Coat

Here are the pieces from the Garden Inspiration room.
De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Hat Dress Scarf De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Garden Inspiration De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Garden Inspiration evening dresses 

Here are the pieces in the Celebrities and Red Carpet section.
  De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Custom Evening Dress De Young Museum - Oscar de la Renta Celebrities red carpet

I was expecting to get a gown overdose but I didn't. The exhibit did a great job with the selection of pieces. They are so different from each other so it was not boring at all.

I bought a couple of postcards in the end so that I have something to take away from the event. Thank you, De Young Museum for bring this brilliant fashion exhibit to San Francisco.

Oscal De La Renta: The Retrospective is on display through May 30, 2016 at the De Young Museum.

~rl



No comments: