Monday, June 11, 2012

Art exhibit in the City - The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier at the De Young Museum

Gaultier - De Young Museum
I finally made it to the fashion oriented art exhibit at the De Young Museum entitled The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier - From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk. I thought I was going to overdose but I didn't. In fact, I enjoyed this exhibit immensely.

While being a computer programmer is far from the glamorous walls of the fashion world, I am fascinated with the creative process involved in making and designing clothes the way I am drawn to the ingenuity applied to paintings, sculptures, buildings, modern inventions and, of course, computer programs. 

I took photos of the ones that I liked at the exhibit and the ones that intrigued me.


While I was getting my ticket, I couldn't help but notice the people behind and infront of me. The guy has blue dyed hair with worn out leather corset and the girl was wearing a short pink tutu dress, worn out leather corset and black military knee high boots. They came here ready. It felt as if there was a dress code announcement that I missed out on.

As soon as you get downstairs, you'll see a sign that says the art exhibit contains adult themes. Taking pictures (without flash) is allowed at the exhibition so I took lots of it. They didn't use to let people take pictures. It would have been nice to have pictures of their Yves Saint Laurent exhibition three years ago.

[read about my Yves Saint Laurent art exhibition blog here ]

This is the first collection.  Gowns galore. There is a projector beaming moving facial images on each mannequin's face making them look more lifelike. One of the male mannequins has the projection of Gaultier and with a matching voice as if the fashion designer was standing in front of all of us. Second from the left is a golden brown version of the mermaid gown worn by French actress Marion Cotillard when she won an Academy Award.

Gaultier - Mermaid Gown Collection



This is a palm leaf jacket hat from the Buttons collection spring/summer 2003. The stripes is a Jean Paul Gaultier signature.

Gaultier - Palm Leaf Jacket Hat



These corset-style bodysuits were worn by the superstar Madonna during the Like A Virgin segment of the Blond Ambition Tour. Later in the exhibition, I learned that he designed for a lot of stars and singers (Kylie Minogue) and movie directors (Almodovar).

Gaultier - Madonna Corset Style Body Suit



There were a few men's pieces. This is my favorite among the jumpsuits in the exhibit. If you look closer, you'll notice that the metallic laces formed triangular web like patterns with a spade in the middle. They're truly what I consider wearable art. This is from the Haute Couture Salon Atmosphere collection, haute couture spring/summer 1997. Time needed to create: 353 hours.

Gaultier - Men Metallic Jumpsuit


There were a lot of corset-style pieces at the exhibit but I found this skeleton corset the most intriguing. It is jet embroidered silk velvet and satin. Parisiennes collection, haute coutre fall winter 2010/2011.

Gaultier - Skeleton Corset


This is also another favorite. It is an evening leather jacket with sleeves made of feathers of bird-of-paradise. From the Parisian Elegance collection, haute couture fall/winter 1998/1999. 

Gaultier - Leather Jacket with Feathers


This one is the La Mariée wedding gown.  From the Hussars collection, haute couture fall/winter 2002/2003. Silk faille skirt with metal bodice and shoulder jewelry; headdress and train of silk tulle and feathers.
Gaultier - Wedding Gown


This is the Punk Cancan of the exhibit and this one is also my favorite. If I had the money and the body, I would get one of these beaded lycra and velvet vests. Rock Stars collection, men's prêt-à-porter fall/winter 1988/1989.
Gaultier - Punk collection


Aside from the over all creativity of Gaultiers look, I was impressed with his attention to detail. Look at the third mannequin from the right, the one with black and white vertical stripes. Now look at the second picture below with the number seven. Upclose, one will notice the the white stripes of the dress are made of mother of pearl buttons!
Gaultier - Women Ensemble

Gaultier - Mother of Pearl Buttons


Here is another favorite of mine in the Metropolis section of the exhibit. Zip trimmed leather dress. These are from the Constructivist collection, prêt-à-porter fall/winter 1986/1987.
Gaultier - Zip Trimmed Leather


Jean Paul Gaultier is truly a genius. Thank you Gaultier for creating these awe inspiring pieces. Thank you De Young Museum for bringing this exhibition to San Francisco.

The art exhibition runs through August 19, 2012.

~rl

No comments: