Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Park in the City - Glen Park Recreational Center

Glen Park Recreational Center - SignThe past weekend, we had glorious sunshine in the city and the temperature hovered around mid-70s.  This is what I call a perfect tennis weather. So my friend Edward and I met up and played tennis for 2 hours.

An added bonus was that the tennis courts are newly renovated. A playground was also added for the neighborhood kids. I totally love the park's new look!


I do not remember the last time I played tennis but I last played last with Edward at the City College tennis courts. I remember it was during the renovation of Glen Park. So it has been at least 6 months.
At last, the renovation finished and the tennis courts were reopened. Here is the view of Glen Park from Elk St.
Glen Park Recreational Center - View from Elk St

I saw this plan of the renovated courts and playground.
Glen Park Recreational Center - New Plan

This park entrance is where the tennis courts used to be. There also used to be a small park entrance with metal screens as fences. They moved the tennis courts up the hill.  They also took out the fence. I really like the new design of the park. It is more welcoming because it is more open.
Glen Park Recreational Center - Entrance

Glen Park Recreational Center - front

The new tennis courts also has high concrete fences which is perfect for practicing volleying and hitting against the wall.
Glen Park Recreational Center - Tennis courts

Nothing beats playing on a newly paved court. I also like the fact that the eucalyptus trees are far enough away so it wouldn't drop leaves and sap on the courts.
Glen Park Recreational Center - Court1

After two hours of hitting with my friend Edward, I asked him to pose for me as if he was surveying the entire park.
Glen Park Recreational Center - Field

Next to the tennis courts is the children's playground. There was a children's playground in the old park's design. Honestly, I don't remember what it looked like but I remember it was not as spacious as today's design.
Glen Park Recreational Center - Playground

These slides made me reminisce about the slide we had in my childhood town in the Philippines.
Glen Park Recreational Center - Playground slides

Glen Park Recreational Center - View from the Western edge

This mural is on a wall of the Recreational center, and indoor area. I am not sure if the Recreational center was renovated at all.
Glen Park Recreational Center - Mural

Glen Park Recreational Center - Existing recreational center and bathrooms

Here is the northern side of the courts. This is a trail that leads to the Glen Park Canyon.
Glen Park Recreational Center - Pathway

I am glad that the courts are now open for Glen Park residents to enjoy. I truly appreciate having a public park that is clean and well kept. Thank you San Francisco Recreation and Parks!

Click here to learn more about Glen Park Recreational Center.

~rl

No comments: