Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Musical in the City - Phantom of the Opera

Phantom of the Opera - Orpheum Theatre outside by roland luistro, on Flickr
After so many years, I was able to see one of my favortie musicals the Phantom of the Opera. This one is a new production. Same classic songs.

 The Phantom of the Opera is playing at San Francisco's  Opheum Theatre through October 4, 2015.


For several years, San Francisco's Curran Theatre housed Phantom of the Opera in San Francisco. It was the first musical I've ever seen. The last time I saw it was when it was finally closing down in 1999. I remember the musical was grand. Even though the musical has been playing continuously in the city, it was a popular musical. I imagined watching the Phantom of the Opera used to be in the checklist of out of towners and tourists who come to San Francisco.

Phantom of the Opera - Programme

The sad thing is that I barely remember the original production that I can't make out the difference in the scenes other than the set. 
Phantom of the Opera - Orpheum Theatre lobby wall 

Nevertheless, the new production is entertaining and I loved it. I remember there was a huge staircase in the old production. It is still present in the new one but it is smartly hidden behind a cylindrical structure that revolves and reveals different scenes. 
  Phantom of the Opera - Start 

In a way, I like that I don't remember the original production because watching it again was like watching it for the very first time. It felt special. Just listening to the songs live made me smile. 

The chandelier was setup outside the stage. It was dropped but didn't break.
  Phantom of the Opera - Intermission 

Chris Mann as The Phantom, Katie Davies as Christine and Storm Lineberger as Raoul performed impecabbly well. I loved their performances. Of course, the rest of the cast were awesome as well. The costume was beautiful and exquisite. 
  Phantom of the Opera - The end 

Old or new production, the Phantom of the Opera is still one of my all time favorites. It runs through October 4, 2015 at the Orpheum Theatre.
  Phantom of the Opera - Outside evening

~rl

No comments: