Monday, August 26, 2013

Ice cream in the City - Bi-Rite Creamery and Bakeshop

Bi-Rite Creamery - FrontIf you are familiar with the San Francisco summers, it does not get hot in the city until later in the summer through autumn when the days are clear with little or no fog.

And when it gets warm in the city, Mijo and I know the places where we can cool down. We went to Bi-Rite Creamery and Bakeshop twice last week. It is always such a nice treat to go there.


When you do a Google or Yahoo search using Bi-Rite Creamery and Bakeshop, chances are you'll see pages and pages of search results referring to Bi-Rite Creamery and links to lists of best ice cream places which, of course, includes Bi-Rite Creamery.

And this is exactly why there is this sign outside the store because the place has become one of the landmarks of this neighborhood the line can be quite long especially on the weekend.

Bi-Rite Creamery - Queue sign


The great thing about living the in the city is that Mijo and I can enjoy a nice scoop of Bi-Rite goodness even on a Tuesday or Wednesday night after a great meal at home. Last week, Mijo and I did just that, twice.

The line during the week was not crazy long and it went fast. I noticed the people were ordering quickly which I take is a sign of savvy regulars who know what to get already.
Bi-Rite Creamery - Queue and Menu

I am a local but not a savvy one so I had to whip out an answer fast. It is always a challenge to come up with a decision especially when you see their menu.
Bi-Rite Creamery - Menu

First, we decided on the size. We thought a single scoop would be enough for each of us.
Bi-Rite Creamery - Goodies

Second, we decided on the flavor. The flavors are not the usual flavors I see at the supermarket. They also have seasonal flavors such as Balsamic Strawberry.

Belowe, Mijo was holding a scoop of Roasted Banana on a sugar cone. Creamy tasting with aromatic roasted banana fruit flavors.
Bi-Rite Creamery - Toasted Banana

I decided on the their Brown Sugar and Ginger Caramel Swirl. The flavor was a great match because it has the intensity and spiciness of ginger which is balanced by the creaminess of the caramel. Since I eat slow I almost always order mine on a cup. Can you imagine me eating ice cream dripping all over the place? But the single scoop ice cream cup is always topped with a hat.
Bi-Rite Creamery - Brown Sugar with Ginger Caramel Swirl

The next day, Mijo and I decided to go to Bi-Rite after our dinner. We sat outside this time.

I decided to get the Malted Vanilla with Peanut Brittle. I've had this before but I've completely forgotten its taste since it has been a couple of years since I ordered this flavor. This ice cream flavor has lots of flavor and texture.

Bi-Rite Creamery - Malted Vanilla

 Mijo ordered a seasonal flavor Balsamic Strawberry. It was a good combination of fruit and tanginess. 
Bi-Rite Creamery - Balsamic Strawberry

They also sell other confections like jams, cookies, ice cream cones, ice cream sandwiches and ice cream pints.
Bi-Rite Creamery - More goodies

I wouldn't be surprised if I see Bi-Rite mentioned in travel magazines and city guides because going there is not only a gastronomic experience but it is a San Francisco experience as well.  It is always fun to go to Bi-Rite Creamery.

It is located on Dolores and 18th St. in San Francisco's Mission District.
~rl

No comments: