Sunday, June 15, 2014

Home Cooking in the City - Eggplant and Chinese Sausage

Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Wine pairing bwI haven't made this dish in a while. I remember I used to make this dish once a month after I learned how to make it. It is a simple dish with only six main ingredients.

The good thing about this dish is that it is very tasty at the same time easy to make. The preparation is easy and cooking is straightforward.



I don't remember exactly where I got this recipe. All I can recall is that I saw it one time on TV. This was before the Food Network became a hit, I think.  It was so easy to make and the resulting dish is so tasty. I've been cooking it since then.

I call it Eggplant with Chinese Sausage.

To make this dish, you'll need:
Half onion
3-4 Japanese eggplant
ginger
garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup water
salt
pepper
fresh basil

I like to cook but prep time usually takes most of the cooking time. The good thing about this dish is that prep time is short. Cut the ginger, garlic and onion in smaller pieces and mix them all in a blender with the soy sauce and water.
Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Ginger prep

Eggplant Chinese Sausage - garlic prep

Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Onion prep

Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Blender

I use the chop option. I do not use puree the puree option just because I like it a little chunky. That takes almost five minutes.
Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Blender prep

Next are the eggplant and the chinese sausage.
Eggplant Chinese Sausage - eggplant and sausages

Cut them in smaller pieces.
Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Eggplant prep

Cook the Chinese Sausages just long enough to release the oil. I usually throw the oil. Set aside the sausages.
Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Chinese Sausage batch

Next, cook the eggplant. I usually set this aside.
Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Eggplant batch

Next, cook  the blended ingredients just long enough for the onions to become transparent. Mix all the cooked ingredients and simmer until the eggplant has wilted. Add the basil leaves before turning off the  stove.
Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Blended ingredients

Here's the finished product. Serve it on top of steaming jasmine rice.
Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Wine pairing

We paired it with a bottle of 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon by Josh Cellars.
Eggplant Chinese Sausage - Dinner

Enjoy!

~rl

No comments: