Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Wine Tasting in Napa Valley - Blackbird Vineyards

Blackbird Vineyards - Wine house bw by roland luistro, on FlickrFor our last wine tasting of the day, Bob treated us to sample wines at Blackbird Vineyards. We tasted here really good high quality wines.

Jonathan, our wine educator that day, was very knowledgeable and fun to talk to. Sampling very good wines while talking to a passionate wine expert are good pairing. Thank you Bob for the treat and Blackbird and Jonathan for the wines!


It took us a few minutes to finally figure out where the tasting cellars of Blackbird Vineyard in Napa Valley's Oak Knoll district. My phone map indicated we were at our destination but there were no visible signs that says Blackbird.  We did see these huge metal sculptures next to the vineyard.

Blackbird Vineyards - Sculptures 

I remember I had tasted a Blackbird Vineyard wine at Ma(i)sonry a couple of years back.
Finally, we parked near a house or barn and we finally made it to Blackbird. Jonathan, our wine educator, was waiting for us at the porch.
  Blackbird Vineyards - Wine house


Their tasting cellar is what I call homey. It is not your regular wine cellar or tasting room. We went in through the kitchen or at least that is how I remember it. The interior is all white and we all sat on the couches with our wines neatly arranged on the table. It was like going to my neighbor's house to wine taste. I love it!
Blackbird Vineyards - Wine tasting setup

Take note that this was our last winery that day so you probably can imagine that we were a bit wined out by this time. A part of me wanted to go home already and take a long nap.

My senses were awaken again when we started sampling the Blackbird wines. They were so good. Jonathan, our wine expert, was very patient and attentive to all our questions. The wines included in the tasting that day were 2014 Arriviste, 2012 Arise, 2012 Illustration, 2012 Paramour, and 2012 Contratrian. We also tasted a couple of older vintages of Illustration and Arise just to taste the difference. I think this is maybe because we asked him about vintages and drought and good years which he patiently all answered.
Blackbird Vineyards - Wine tasting

In the end, I decided to get my favorite that day. The 2012 Paramour which I am planning to open for Mijo's birthday next year.
Blackbird Vineyards - 2012 Blackbird Vineyards Paramour

Blackbird is on Oak Knoll Ave. in Napa Valley.

~rl

No comments: