Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Musical in the City - The Wedding Singer

Wedding Singer - Victoria Theatre program
Mijo and I went to see Bay Area Musical's production of The Wedding Singer at the Victoria Theater in the Mission District. The tickets were Christmas gifts from our loved ones A and B.


It was a small production compared to the Broadway shows staged at the Orpheum, Golden Gate or Curran but it was good nevertheless. The production felt more  intimate and yet casual.


I have not been inside the Victoria Theatre in my years of living in the city. This and seeing the musical were like hitting two birds in one stone. (Though, I don't encourage hitting birds) Mijo had told me stories about the theatre before and how it had transitioned from a movie theatre to a performing arts venue. The interior of the theatre is simple and modest.  I thought the acoustics of the theatre was great. 

Wedding Singer - Victoria Theatre street side

Mijo and I got to the theatre early. True to the musical's genre, 80s music was being played while we wait for the curtain call.  Suddenly, I was walking down memory lane.

I have seen the Wedding Singer in NYC before but that was many years ago and I can barely remember it. Since this is a small production, I didn't expect big mechanical props and that is perfectly fine. However, the stage design was ample and what I call efficient. I appreciate that everything on the stage was thought of. I was also pleasantly  surprised that the accompaniment is live and not a recording. Like what I said earlier, the performance was intimate and casual.

Wedding Singer - Victoria Theatre programme 

The cast was great. At first I thought they looked pretty young.
They looked like they were having so much fun on stage. They all did a great job - Zack Schuman as Robbie Hart, Jenny Angel as Julia, Alissa Sanchez as Holly, Matt Ono as George, Max Thorne as Sammy. The ensemble was entertaining as well. There were times I thought the stage was too small for all their dance moves but they made it work. I hope to see more projects from these young (and not so young) artists in the future.

  Wedding Singer - Victoria Theatre inside 

Please support small and local productions.
The musical is playing through March 17, 2018.

  Wedding Singer - Victoria Theatre front

~rl

No comments: