Monday, March 04, 2013

Artisan Chocolates in the City - Cocoa Bella

I discovered the joys of tasting artisan chocolates when Mijo and I went to Rome for the first time in 2006. I rediscovered that same joy when we went to Florence last year.  I made a mental note that I should sample the artisan chocolates made or sold in San Francisco.

That's exactly what I did and since then, I discovered several chocolatiers  and purveyors of artisan chocolates in the city. One of them is Cocoa Bella. Bellisima!


Cocoa Bella has two locations in the city. The most accessible for me is the one at the San Francisco Center. Their other store is in the other side of the city on Union St in the Marina District.

Here's what I've compiled regarding the artisan chocolates sold at Cocoa Bella. I must say that this was a fun exercise for me not only for the taste buds but also for the eyes. These tasty little confections are too pretty to eat. They were also extra satisfying to photograph using my 50mm macro lens. I'll just list the photos here and put some blurbs on what I remember about the tastes and textures of each one.

Here are the first ones that I tried from Cocoa Bella. I was drawn to the painting on the chocolates. The one on the left is a Christopher Elbow Whiskey Walnut which is walnut marzipan with ganache and whiskey. The one of the right is a Michel Cluizel Palet Authe which is dark chocolate infused with Earl Gray tea.
Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Whisky Walnut Michel Cluizel Palet Authe



Below is another batch I tried because of their blue hue.
The photo below is a Christopher Elbow Lavender Caramel. Fragrant and decadent without tasting like soap. Mijo and I shared this chocolate so I split it to two. The inside is soft caramel infused with lavender. I was surprised that the crust didn't crumble when I cut it with a knife.
Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Lavender Caramel

Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Lavender Caramel

This one is a Christopher Elbow Port Wine and Fig. Mijo and I shared this one too. The inside is made of a layer of dark chocolate ganache infused with port wine and a layer of fig pate de fruit. Isn't that a pretty chocolate inside out?
Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Port Wine Fig

Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Port Wine Fig



Here is another batch of chocolates with contrasting colors. How can you eat something this pretty?

Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Rosemary Caramel Bananas Foster

This is a Christopher Elbow Rosemary Caramel. The inside is caramel infused with rosemary. Again, the rosemary taste is not overwhelming so it didn't taste soapy. Again, who would have thought of infusing caramel with rosemary? People are so smart!
Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Rosemary

Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Rosemary

This one is called Christopher Elbow Bananas Foster. Don't you think this is a work of art? I love the playful use of the yellow with the irregular sized dots. Mijo and I shared this one again. The filling is banana and caramel flambeed with rum.
Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Bananas Foster


Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Bananas Foster

This is Recchiuti Sesame Nougat. This one is another visual feast plus it has a bite to it. The bottom layer contains crunchy sesame nougat.
Cocoa Bella - Recchiuti Sesame Nougat

Cocoa Bella - Recchiuti Sesame Nougat


This one is Michael Mischer Root Beer. This one is modest in color compared to the other ones. However, this is one that you will probably remember the most because the taste is one of a kind. The combination of caramel infused root beer and chocolate is a perfect match.
Cocoa Bella - Michael Mischer Rootbeer

Cocoa Bella - Michael Mischer Rootbeer

This one is Thomas Haas Lime Cachaca. This is another one I consider a modern art. Look at the yellow and green section? Isn't it beautiful? The inside is lime pate with rum infused ganache.
Cocoa Bella - Thomas Haas Lime Cachaca

Cocoa Bella - Thomas Haas Lime Cachaca


This is Michael Mischer Lavender Honey. The inside is caramel infused with lavender and honey.
Cocoa Bella - Michael Mischer Lavender Honey

Cocoa Bella - Michael Mischer Lavender Honey


This one is called Garrison Grapefruit and Early Grey Tea. This is probably one of the tastiest chocolates I've had. Such an explosion of flavors!
Cocoa Bella - Garrison Grapefruit Earl Grey Tea



Here are the ones I didn't sample but Mijo did. Good thing I took photos before he finished them all. :) I am listing them here with the thought of getting them again for sampling in the near future.

This is called Nuubia Pineapple Caramel.
Cocoa Bella - Nuubia Pineapple Caramel

This one is called Christopher Elbow Winter Spice.
Cocoa Bella - Christopher Elbow Winter Spice

This is soooo pretty. It is called Valentino Rosemint. 
Cocoa Bella - Valentino Rose Mint

The one on the left is Thomas Haas Lychee. I've tried that one. The lychee puree tastes so well with chocolates. The one of the right is Valentino Pina Colada. I didn't taste it.
Cocoa Bella - Thomas Haas Lychee Valentino Pina Collada

This is one is called Ricchiuti Ginger Heart.
Cocoa Bella - Recchiutti Ginger Heart


Sampling, admiring, and photographing these confections was so much fun. It is even more fun if you do it with another person or a loved one. Not only you share these exotic flavors, you can also compare notes what you both like or not.

I am still finding out more places in the city where they make or sell artisan chocolates. I will blog them here as I find them.

Ciao!

~rl

No comments: