Friday, August 10, 2012

Concert in the City - Tears For Fears

Tears for Fears - ShoutI love 80s music. Some people may say it is cheesy but I don't care. I try to see any 80s band in concert when they are in town and, of course, I drag Mijo or a few friends with me in the process. Petshop Boys, checked. U2, checked. OMD, checked. Sting and The Police, checked.

So when Mijo saw that Tears for Fears are in town last week, I didn't waste any time and bought the tickets right away. I just had to see them. Tears for Fears, checked!


Tears for Fears - Everybody Wants to Rule the WorldThe concert was held at the Nob Hill Masonic Auditorium. I left work early that day so that I'll have time to go home and freshen up and get a quick bite before the show. The stage was not lavish at all. No elaborate lighting. No props. They opened with Everybody Wants To Rule the World which was explosive. Tears for Fears - Head Over Heels They sang a couple of songs that I am not familiar with. Maybe the songs are from their later albums? I noticed Roland Orzabal has not lost his amazingly thick hair. Curt Smith has a buzzed hairdo. Both looked and sounded well.



Tears for Fears - Kurt SmithIn between songs, they shared with the crowd how they usually fly into San Francisco but end up driving away from the city into the vineyards. I think they were referring to their past performances were never in the city but always had been in the vineyards. Tears for Fears - Pale Shelter They were glad to actually be performing in San Francisco! They also poked fun at the Olympics and how proud they are of Team GB. It is nice to hear that they have a good sense of humor.


Tears for Fears - Roland OrzabalOf course, just like everyone in the crowd, I sang their popular songs. Mijo seemed surprised I know the songs by heart. Just (yes, cassette tape) to give you a little background, my first cassette tape was T4F's The Songs from the Big Chair. I remember I had to make a choice between buying a pair of jeans or the album. Tears for Fears - The End The cassette case was white while the paper insert was black. I was in 6th grade at the time. I think that purchase was immediately followed by another one - AHA's Hunting High and Low. I don't know why most of the 80s songs remind me of the summers of my youth?

Once again, never had I imagined back then that I was going to see Tears For Fears in a concert. Roland Orzabal, Curt Smith and the rest of the band delivered good music and great performances. Thank you so much for the songs and the memories that come with them. :)

~rl

No comments: