Thursday, January 19, 2012

Everyday Wine in the City - 6Y (sexy) Red table wine

Everyday Wine - 6y Red table wineThis week, we are tasting a red wine blend called 6Y by Topel Winery. I was at our friendly neighborhood Canyon Market and this beautifully labelled bottle of wine caught my attention. The label has this painting of a sexy sophisticated woman with a red lipstick. Later, I learned that 6Y is read as, you guessed it right, sexy (or more like sixy?). A small voice was telling me, come on, be open minded and try this one just because it is a blend. I've had red wine blends of Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah before and I truly loved them so why not give this blend of four red wines a try, I thought to myself. I paired this wine with spaghetti with meat balls from Monterey Pizza.


Here are my notes:
Tasting Date: week of Jan. 16, 2012
Tasting Partners: Mijo
Wine Name: 6y (sexy)
Producer: Topel Winery
Region/Appelation: Napa Valley
Grape Varieties: 60% Cabernet Sauvignon, 20% Merlot, 15% Syrah Noir, 5% Petit Verdot
Vintage: 2009
Alcohol: 14.2 %
Color Hue: red, purple
Aroma Intensity: less fruity, spicy
Developments: medium body
Aromas: pepper, coffee, nut
Dry/Sweet: less sweet
Body: Full body
Acidity: medium acid
Tannins: high level
Flavors: pepper, nut, coffee, citrus


All in all, I enjoyed this wine. It tastes a bit fuller compared to simpler blends of two grapes. Maybe I should have paired this blend of four red wines with spicy food? Meats, perhaps? Since this wine tasted a bit spicy for my taste, I am imagining it is better enjoyed at a party with grilled meats or at a barbecue. I am imagining it will taste great with my Filipino pork adobo. I'll pair them next time.


~rl

No comments: