Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Musical in the City - HAIR at the Golden Gate Theatre

Hair - Will Call by raluistroWe saw the musical HAIR the other day, and are you ready for this????? There was nudity at the end of Act 1! Even though it was done in good taste where the entire tribe were bathed in ocean blue lights, I can still see their stuff hangin'. But I am not complaining because they were all beautiful and free and they're spreading their love.
I wonder why there was no warning of nudity on the Playbill? I remember watching Avenue Q a few years ago and I though their music and acts can be classified as Rated R even though they are a bunch of puppets. Hair - Intermission by raluistroI think I would classify this musical an R+. Of course, I am not complaining.

This musicale is a revival of the original production in the 60s during the height of the Hippie era and Flower power.  I guess the theme still applies in today's social issues such as the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, the corporate world's greed, and countless protests here and there. Berger who is played by Steel Burkhardt was full of life and acted like a total hippie. Hair -  Final act by raluistroThe entire Tribe seemed like they were all having fun performing.  I overheard people behind me saying Give me some of what he had earlier. Musicwise, there were over 30 songs but only one or two songs stuck with me - Let the Sunshine In and Hair. I bought their CD so I'll be listening to their music more in the coming days. I wonder how this production compares to the original musical?

At the end of the show, the entire cast invited the audience to join the Tribe on stage for a dance party while a video was being recorded to be posted online later that night. The video can be tagged and posted in Tweeter and Facebook. We thought about joining in since we were sitting in the Orchestra but we both chickened out because we were not donning a 60's outfit. Plus, we saw the musicale on a Thursday night so we couldn't stay out very late.

Hair - The Musical by raluistroHair: The American Tribal Love-Rock Musical is playing through November 20th at the Golden Gate Theatre.


~rl

No comments: