Thursday, December 27, 2012

Christmas in the City - San Francisco Ballet's The Nutcracker

SF Ballet's The Nutcracker - ProgramFor the past seven or eight years, Mijo and I have been going to see San Francisco Ballet's The Nutcracker performance. For me, it is one of the most beloved San Francisco holiday traditions. The tickets on all weekend performances were sold out so we decided to see the performance on a Friday night.

This maybe a bit of an exaggeration but my Christmas season would not be complete without it. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone! 

Christmas in the City - War Memorial Theater
Since we've seen the Nutcracker from the Orchestra and from the balcony sections of the Opera house, we bought Dress circle tickets this year. They are a bit more expensive than the best balcony seats but less pricier than the Orchestra tickets. I must say that I find the Dress Circle section the best section to see the ballet. Not too near to miss the glorious and the wonderful group dances and yet near enough to see more of the performance and the dancers.

SF Balltet's The Nucracker - Dress Circle
As always, the group dances were synchronized, entertaining and fun to watch. My favorites are the Spanish, Arabian and the Russian groups. Of course, I always look forward to seeing the battle scenes of the soldiers and the mice. The Snowflakes, as always, is a white out! Though I would never wish this to ever happen, I am always in awe how the ballet dancers neither trip nor wobble during the snowflakes scene. How can they see with almost zero visibility?

 SF Ballet's The Nutcracker - The End
Uncle Drosselmeyer was performed by Ruben Martin Cintas. The Nutcracker Prince was performed by Joan Boada. Vito Mazzeo and Kristina Lind were the King and Queen of the Snow. Sofiane Sylve was the Sugar Plum Fairy. The Grand Pas De Deux was performed this year by Frances Chung and the Nutcracker Prince Joan Boada. As alway, the performance, the choreography, the props are superb. (I know that taking photographs is not allowed. This photo was taken at the very end of the performance when each performer is acknowledged. I hope the SF Ballet wouldn't mind that I took and posted this picture. I didn't use a flash, promise.)

Christmas in the City - War Memorial Opera House
This year, I finally went to the Ballet Shop at the mezzanine to buy my very own nutcracker doll as a gift to myself. I can't believe I waited all these years buy one! It is now standing on the coffee table next to our Christmas tree.

Christmas in the City - The Nutcracker
Here is the 15" custom made San Francisco Ballet Nutcracker Prince. 

See you next Christmas holiday the Nutcracker Prince!

~rl

No comments: