Monday, January 30, 2017

Cirque in the City - Luzia by Cirque du Soleil

Cirque du Soleil - Luzia sign
It was Auntie Glo's idea to go see Luzia by Cirque du Soleil.  With another aunt Auntie Madz, Auntie Glo and I went to finally see it a week ago.

Eventhough this I've seen several Cirque du Soleil's shows, Luzia is refreshing and entertaining as if it was my first time seeing one.

Mijo and I actually planned to see it before our trip to Philippines in December but it did not materialize due to time constraints. So when my Auntie Glo suggested we go see it one Sunday in January, I did not have any second thoughts. 

We got to the venue about 20 minutes early. It was raining pretty hard that day so people were still getting to the chapiteau even 20 minutes before the show started. As always, it is fun to linger outside where the souvernir and concession shops are. It makes me feel like I am in a fair or carnival. I fell in line to get my fridge magnet.
Cirque du Soleil - Luzia Concession


Cirque du Soleil - Luzia stage 

The show is called Luzia - A Waking Dream of Mexico. The stage had this big round disc resembling a giant Mayan calendar. This round disc changed colors and details during the show. There was also this huge cylindrical core that had some Mayan or Aztec scripts. I loved how they use props as cover to prep for the next acts.  As always, I love the Cirque's chanteause. Her voice is clear as bell.
  Cirque du Soleil - Luzia musical 

  Cirque du Soleil - Luzia Red core 

Aside from the Mayan scripts and calendar, rain was also used to add that tropical scenery. It is amazing how the water drops and how much water falls are carefully controlled. Some of the acts were done during while 'raining'. I was praying that none of the artists slip during their performance. Thankfully, no one slipped. Great job guys!
  Cirque du Soleil - Luzia rain 

I enjoyed the strongman on the poles. One thing about Cirque's artists is that not only they have a physique of a superhero, they have the charm and good looks too. 
  Cirque du Soleil - Luzia poles 

I loved this curtain of waterfall and how it created shapes while falling. Bravo guys! I heard a lots of ooohs and aaaahs in the crowd. I think they loved it too.
  Cirque du Soleil - Luzia Waterfall lights 

I also loved the juggler and the contortionist. It is amazing how they do what they do. Another new addition that symbolizes Mexico is the futbol or soccer ball performance by a pair artists playing with soccer balls.
  Cirque du Soleil - Luzia Long table 

  Cirque du Soleil - Luzia finale

Their Luzia show in San Francisco ended on January 29. I think they are headed to San Jose, Ca.
I love Cirque du Soleil. I can't wait to see your next show in San Francisco!

~rl

No comments: