Sunday, November 20, 2016

Art in the City - Andy Warhol at SFMoMA

SFMoMA - Andy Warhol Elvis National Velvet bw
I recently visited the SFMoMA. I had been to the museum more than once this year so instead of seeing its entire collection all over again, I've decided to focus on one artist each time I visit.

My first artist on focus is one of my favorites Andy Warhol.
Seeing his works once again but spending more time on each work was refreshing.


I became a fan of Andy Warhol when I first visited the MoMA in NYC. At that time, I was a newly transplanted Filipino to the States and my museum experience was rather little. However inexperienced I was with arts, I did like Warhol's Campbell Soup prints at the MoMA.

In 2009, I was able to see several of Andy Warhol's works when the traveling art exhibition called Warhol Live came to San Francisco and was on display at the De Young Museum. I was once again face to face with his amazing works.


I feel happy and blessed that there are a few Andy Warhol works hanging on the walls of San Francisco's own SFMoma. 

Here are my favorites.
SF MoMA - Opening Andy Warhol Self Portraits 
(left)
Self Portrait 
1986
Acrylic paint and silkscreen ink on linen

(right)
Self Portrait (Camouflage)
1986
Acrylic paint and silkscreen ink on linen


  SFMoMA - Andy Warhol Elvis National Velvet 
(left)
Triple Elvis (Ferus type)
1963
Silver paint, spray paint, and silkscreen ink on linen

(right)
National Velvet
1963
Silver paint, silkscreen ink, and graphite on linen

  SFMoMA - Andy Warhol Nine Marilyns 
Nine Marilyns (Reversal series)
1979/1986
Acrylic Paint and silkscreen ink on linen

  SFMoMA - Andy Warhol Jackie Triptych 
Jackie Triptych
1964
Acrylic paint, spray paint and silkscreen on linen

  SFMoMA - Andy Warhol Camouflage 
Joseph Beuys (Camouflage)
1986
Acrylic paint and silkscreen on linen

  SFMoMA - Andy Warhol Robert Maplethorpe 
Robert Mapplethorpe
1983
Acrylic paint and silkscreen on linen


  SFMoMA - Andy Warhol Self Portrait
Self Portrait
1967
Acrylic paint and silkscreen on linen


~rl

No comments: